Sunday, November 16, 2008

Thing 16: My office is now online!

I can see the usefulness and applicability of this immediately. At Olin College, I am preparing to lead for the 4th year running a project to interview all of the seniors before the graduate. The results are placed in the archives.

I coordinate a number of staff volunteers from across campus to conduct the interviews. Who gets to interview whom is always a bit of a challenge: in the past I have sent out the list of seniors, solicited my interviewers' desires, and then made assignments as best I could.

But let's say that I can place the spreadsheet in Google Docs, and send the link to my team of interviewers. Then they can put in their preferences, discuss them among themselves, and arrive at the optimum interview schedule - saving me alot of trouble.

We have also had requests from our seniors to share and/or see the results, but this becomes a problem because they lose their privileges to log-in to the internal network after they graduate. However, I could use this function to share the results with those of them willing to have their interview so posted.

No comments: